Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Platter Blank prep/rough out problems/cracks

Devon Palmer
>All,

I've been experiencing a 50% loss rate on my platter blanks. I've been cutting 2-3" thick disc's off of my bowl blanks to get a platter and a shallow bowl (stuff thats 14" and greater). It all comes from trunkwood and is "almost" quartersawn (off to one side of the pith). I mount the platter blank between centers and cut a slight tenon, put it in a chuck, and get it round and perfectly flat removing any remaining pith (and actually cutting beyond it at least 1/2 inch).

So, visualize a flat disc of wood, with a shallow 5" tenon on the back side. I wax this completely, throw it in a bag for 30-45 days (when its dry out Winter/summer) then pull it out and let it air dry for a year or two depending on the wood (usually maple, some poplar and a little cherry/black Walnut). During this time, I keep it close to the ground and out of a draft.

They typically split close to the center where the grain is longest, 2-3 months after they are roughed out. It doesn't seem to be related to the pith as its usually off to one side or the other. If I make them any thinner, they "potato-chip" out of shape so badly, I can't get a platter out of it any more. The larger the platter, the worse it tends to be.

What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to use bigger trees to get something that is completely quartersawn?

- Devon Palmer, Columbus, Ohio

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081