Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Cremation Urn *PIC*

Mkauder, Phenix City, AL
>Hi gang,

I haven't posted any of my turnings for quite a few months. Mostly because I was not turning for a while, and then, I was so far behind with the galleries, that I shipped them before I took pictures.

Shortly after my Father-in-Law was here for my wife's funeral, he became quite ill (he is 88 years old (or so) and his wife called and told me that he really wanted me to make a cremation urn for him. I don't make anything fast, but I got started right away. He got much better, so it sat for a little while. Recently, I have been exchanging emails with Don Derry, and he convinced me to try some of his finishing techniques/materials, and this was a good test object.

ANYWAY, it is finished. It is 10" in diameter. Walnut, Maple and Ebony. Before anyone tells me what a great lid and finial, I did not turn them. Since I was in a rush when I started, I put out a call to Georgia turners, asking for someone to do a threaded lid for me. I did not have the time to learn how to do it. Professional turner and friend (and sometimes WC Lurker)Hal Simons turned what I wanted - exactly.

This is the first segmented piece I have ever done with a lid. I like the look so much I am sure it will not be the last.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081