Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Bill's Lathe Part 2 - longish & needing your help

Carol from AZ
>Earlier this afternoon I got over to Bill's to look over his lathe and to see what was needed to get it going. It appears to be a very old (not necessarily bad!) 9" Delta Homecraft. It will take some cleaning. I got started on it. Bill only has the use of one arm and hand, so it is easier for me to do it. Besides I love getting my hands dirty!

The banjo and tool rest need some machining to flatten surfaces. Bill has machinist friends, so he will prevail on them. I got the tailstock apart. It was stuck. I started with WD-40 and 600 grit sandpaper. Things are cleaning up nicely. The bed is in good shape. It is also cleaning up nicely.

The headstock needs some work. The thread size is 3/4" & TPI unknown at this point. There is a jam nut that looks like someone used a pipe wrench on it at one (or more) times. I cannot completely remove the jam nut or mount a faceplate. I worked on the threads with a triangular file for a bit with no joy. The thing is the threads appear to be in good shape. Any thoughts? Should the jam nut come off? Anybody know what TPI this spindle might be? The inboard side appears to be righthand thread. The outboard side looks to be a lefthand thread. Sunday I will pick up a regular 3/4 nut and see if it will turn on. I also have a thread gage here, so I will take that along. Undoubtedly his machinist friends should have a die to chase the threads.

I did go to the Old Machinery site and download the manual for the Delta 955 lathe, which, given the pictures, appears to be what we have. Goes back to the '40's. An oldie, but a goodie, I think.

He has a motley collection of gouges, 1 half inch scraper, and no parting tool. Some of have never been used. One or two badly rusted. He has a 3450 RPM grinder with very coarse wheels. (See my question on Carole's grinding wheel post). We will have his son weld up a captured rig so he can turn with his one hand and arm. Thanks to Phil Joines for his input and pictures here. I will practice sharpening with his tools. Mine are in storage in Arizona. I did meet another fellow here that has a Wolverine jig, so I will be tracking him down! We'll try a sweptback grind rather than the blunt (my descriptive word) grind on them now. I'll have to study the grinds library! Hopefully that is an easier study than Biblical Hebrew!

He has a collection of face plates, only one of which looks like it may be a thread match and it is 8" in diameter! One dead center. One small drill chuck on a #2 (I think) taper.

I need to find a screw chuck to fit. Wally taught me waste blocks on a screw chuck. And this method Bill feels he can handle. There is an indexing pin that locks into the multi-pully. As soon as we figure out how to use the darn thing, he can lock the spindle and screw his waste block with his one hand. The indexing pin appears to be 'stuck' and it is not readily apparent how to use/loosen it.

I'd put a handwheel on it for my use. Easier on the hands than the open pully, which really ought to be covered for safety. Thought I'd get a lefthand nut & jamnut, turn a nice handwheel and epoxy one nut into it. Any other suggestions?

So, we ask the collective braintrust here for your input. Anything you know that we need to know?

Thanks, everyone. He is blown away by all of you and your interest in helping him get going.

I did take some pictures, but haven't downloaded them to see what I have yet.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081