Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Hard Maple *PIC*

David Breth
>I thought it was time I shared something - haven't posted photos in ages. Most of you turned bowl #35 a long, long time ago, I turned mine a few weeks ago. This hard maple was part of a find at a local wood-dump area. I knew it would split when I was turning it, but I was curious how much, and whether or not I could preserve the turning.

It turned well enough on the bottom, but when I flipped it and started hogging out material from the inside, the split started to give way. Necessity mothered some invention. I used plastic tie-wraps (zip strips) around the exterior of the bowl to keep it from blowing apart, and then removed material from thh inside. I was pretty careful, because the whole operation was pretty delicate. I like the results a lot. This is my current favorite bowl (of mine).

I think of it as a "two-faced" bowl. On one side of the split, where the bugs got after it, is very dead looking. The other side of the split is really vibrant, at least I think so. My terminology isn't great, but I think there is some feathering in there. Photos aren't terrific, but I think you'll get the idea from them. Finish is Minwax Antique Oil Finish, not sure how many coats. A few.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081