Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
more book recommendations

GaryG in MD
>Readers,

Just passing on some info I found very interesting and valuable.

Recently, in various threads, there have been a few good book recommendations. I find these valuable. Good books are great for beginners, but they can be a joy for all who enjoy the myriad aspects of our craft/art.

I decided on a whim to go hunting on Amazon for turning books, old and new. I found a number -- including ones recently recommended. I bought five -- just for fun. You can get some new and all used, from various sellers at various prices -- just take your pick. All of mine came very quickly by Snail. I would like to make some suggestions for those who may have either forgotten, or never known about these works.

Three historic books by Dale Nish are available at ridiculously low prices. The original copyrights are in 1975, 1980, and 1985. So what's the point? These books are loaded with ideas, techniques, forms, and, in one case, biographical info on many of our favorite turners (see below). Sure the pix are B&W, but these are not art books, per se; they are meant to be practical, and that they are. These are treasures, there to be had. If some of them are not completely "current", do we care? We can get lots of "current" right here on WC and on WoW. It's good to know where we came from and how we got here; and if the techniques worked then, they still work today. Classic forms are still classic, by definition.

The books I'm talking about, in age order, are:

"Creative Woodturning",
"Artistic Woodturning", and
"Master Woodturners".
The latter features David Ellsworth, Ray Key, Mark and Melvin Lindquist, Ed Moulthrop, Rude Osolnik, Richard Raffan, Al Stirt, and Jack Straka.

There are a lot of "newcomers" at various levels in WC. The way I look at it, there's no reason not to have these books. Each one has well over 200 pages of good stuff. I can guarantee that these books will give many of you some interesting ideas or perspectives. After all, gift season is upon us!

Enjoy, Gary

Messages In This Thread

more book recommendations
Those are some good books...
Further...
Re: Further...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081