Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Re: What age to start Turning

Steve in NC
>Mark

I posted a similar question about this time last year regarding my 11 year old daughter. After all the encouraging responses we gave it a try. She was a bit intimidated by my full size lathe so we got a jet mini for Christmas. While it is hard to find time, she ejoys turning with me. She has made several boxes, bottle stoppers and oil lamps. She has even given her work as gifts to teachers and friends.

A couple of suggestions. Get a face shield that you can adjust with a knob. The more comfortable the more likely she is to wear it. I also found she was more confident with the face shield than with glasses. We also purchased a "dust be gone" dust mask. It is comfortable and washable. She wears both the face shield and dust mask at all times when turning. I also took one of my old dress shirts, cut down the sleeves and she wears it backwards as an apron.

I am hoping she continues. Right now we are making items for a charity craft fair to aid a homeless shelter. She is also using wood turning as her Girl Scout craft badge.

My advice, go for it but preach safety at all times.

Steve

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081