Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Batty Gouge Grind Question

David Propst, Valdese, NC
>I just got home from day one of a two day, ten person class with Stuart Batty. It was a great day, if I can only remember everything I learned. To start the day I cut beads and coves without catches which for me was probably a first!

In the afternoon we moved to the bowl gouge and I finally get the difference between the push and pull cut techniques with a bowl gouge and why his 40 degree grind makes the difference. I was getting a finish on crappy wet poplar that was very, very nice. Much more will be learned tomorrow I am sure.

My one concern with what I learned today is that Stuart says the all-around 40 degree grind has to be ground by hand, no jig can replicate it. I lost more metal off my prized Glaser 3/8 bowl gouge today trying to get a good grind on it than I have taken off it in a year on the Tormek. (A cheaper gouge will be used tomorrow.)

My question is have any of you who are familiar with this grind had any success duplicating it with a jig (i.e. Wolverine or Tormek).

Thanks!

David

(40+ signed up for the Exchange today! Remember to sign up you gotta send me an e-mail with name and mailing address!)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081