Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Made a tool handle last night. (borders on long)

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hi.

I don't wonder over here often as I never (very rarely) use my little Jet lathe. But last night I needed to make a little tool handle so I gave it a shot - I've used my lathe maybe 3 or 4 times in the last couple years. So, I am a lathe noob basically.

Here's the scenario - I needed to make a chisel for cleaning out sockets of hand-cut dovetails. So I went to Home Depot and bought a cheapo Buck Brothers chisel. Ground the chisel into the shape of a DT and cut the plastic handle off then measured the shaft thingy. I measured it to be 5/16" using my trusty Handy Man of America screw measuring device (some freebies are worth the price I guess - still won't join though!). I then drilled (using a drill press) a 5/16" hole into the center of a piece of scrap 1" square Walnut. I screwed a 5/16" lag bolt (with its head cut off) into the hole and mounted that to the drill chuck thingy on my lathe. I didn't really need to "screw" the lag bolt in since it was the same size as the hole.

Turned the little handle and all came out fine. I thing tried to mount the new handle onto the chisel and my pretty walnut handle split. I didn't really have to pound it all that hard. I expected some resistance. In fact, I drilled a test hole into some scrap poplar and the chisel shaft fit in the hole. It was a tight fit but not that tight.

Should I have heated the chisels shaft up or something? Does that somehow help? What's the trick?

Btw, I know walnut may not be the best wood for a chisel handle but this will be used for paring not chopping. Maybe I should use a piece of Cherry or Ash?

Thanks,
Joe

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081