Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
"Modification" to Wolverine Jig

Dominic Greco in Richboro PA
>Hello Everyone,

Like many of you here, I have the Wolverine Jig by Oneway. However, I've always been dissapointed in the flat tool rest that they give you. The fingernail grind jig works fantastic, as does the skew chisel jig. But I've always had a bit of a problem with the flat tool rest. You know the one I'm talking about. It's a flat table that can be adjusted to just about any angle. Unless you modify it somewhat extensively, you really can't use jigs to hold you plane blades or chisels when you're grinding the bevels.

Is it me or was the Wolvering Jig designed for someone who is JUST a turner. Some of us actually do work on the "flat side" now and again.

Now I know that I should LEARN to develope a steady hand and be able to perform this operation WITHOUT a jig. But I love the ease at which a jig lets to get a repeatable, clean grind. So bearing this in mind, I made up my mind to modify my Wolverine Jig.

I removed the left hand too guide and the flat tool rest and replaced it with the Veritas Grinder Tool Rest. I actually had this tool rest installed on my hand powered grinder for a while. But I didn't find it ideally suited for this application. The Veritas Grinding Jig and Veritas Skew Grinding Jig I have require 2 hands. And one was always needed to turn the handle (yeah I know I could make the hand grinder "foot powered" easily enough. But I didn't have the room)

Over this past weekend while I was turning some items, I found that I had no problem using the Veritas Grinder Tool Rest to sharpen my various scrapers, 3 point tool, or parting tool. In fact, I thought it was actually EASIER.

Where the tool rest really shines is with the (Radiused) Skew Grinding Jig (purchased with a gift certificate my wife gave me for my Bday last week). I have a 3/4" wide Sorby Skew that I always wanted to convert to a radiused skew. With the Skew Grindng Jig, it was done in about 5 minutes and gave me an edge that looked great! I can't wait to try this out on my plane blades. I've got no less than 5 that need to be reground so that I can use the sharpening techniques Ellis and Alan tutored me in (at the last 5 Barn's BBQ).

Has anyone else felt the need to modify their Wolvering Jig this way?

See ya around,

My ugly mug

Dominic

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081