Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Do it in public.

Phil Joines Krum, Tx
>Our club did a public demo at the first annual Roanoke, Texas festival yesterday. It's one day, noon till 8PM. I don't know what the attendance was, at a guess maybe 5000. We had 5 minis (all Jet), display table, a grinder and 8 turners in a 10x20 foot area. The idea was to do some tops, freedom pens and bowls for the empty bowls project.

No bowls and only a couple of pens were done. I had prepped about 190 spin top blanks to turn and give to kids 12 and under. They were 3"x 3/4" disks with 1/2" x 4" dowels. Mostly from Walnut off cuts from a furniture company. Once the dust had cleared we had about 10 left. 4 of the lathes were used all day to do them. From about 3 o'clock till 7:30 there where lines at all 4 of the lathes that sometimes had 20 kids each waiting. Some of them stood there for an hour. We could have used a couple more turners to provide breaks.

I'd say they were popular. Some of the kids had never seen one before. They make a good demo for the general public but be prepared to work your butt off, those kids don't cut you any slack :>).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081