Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
miniature bowl gouge and hollowing tool *PIC*

John Lucas
>It's too hard to see my mini tools so last night a made a 1/4" one out of a screwdriver to show the grinds. I have found that on miniature tools you don't need a flute on a bowl gouge and this particular grind also works well as a spindle gouge although you might sharpen the nose to a steeper angle if you have trouble cutting some details.

The top view shows the basic grind. I have rounded the edges of my sharpening wheel slighlty with a diamond hone. I tilt the tool slightly to the right and sharpen the left side of the tool on the right side of the wheel. Then I pull it back to the left across the rounded corner and rotate the tool so the top is up and sharpen the front bevel. Then I move it across the wheel and over to the left side of the wheel. At the same time I twist the tool to the left and sharpen the right side of the tool. This method gives me a slight relief on the left and right side of the tool and creates little wings that resemble a bowl gouge grind.

The bottom photo is the top of the tool showing the rounded nose. I grind the top down toward the tip. This is to give it the bowl grind shape. I polish the top edges to 1200 grit. This gives it the cutting action like a bowl gouge.

You can make these in any size. Dave Hout's bowl skew is similar but out of rectangular stock and a sharper grind. This is the same grind I will try to duplicate on the end of needles to make my next series of really really small goblets.

This tool is also great for hollowing miniatures but I use it more as a scraper for hollowing. It's also a great grind for my ornament hollowing tools. I like to make them out of drill rod when I can but you can use almost any good steel.

Messages In This Thread

miniature bowl gouge and hollowing tool *PIC*
Re: The exact technique I learned.....
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081