Turning Archive 2006

Some plain ole bowls

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings all

I have not had a lot of time at the lathe lately, although I have been in the shop quite a bit. But, I have gotten a few things done recently, so I thought I would post some pictures of what I have been doing.

This first bowl is a piece of cherry given to me at the Five Barns Picnic by Dustmaker Mike, who hangs out on the main forum most of the time. I will have to alert him to this pic. When I cut the blank, it had a huge half rotted branch coming out, and I was afraid that spelled disaster. Another slab from the same tree is was to become an 18" bowl, but a large crack has relegated it to spindle material. But the hole turned out to be an asset, with lots of curliques around it and such. There is a second smaller hole on the other side from some sort of defect in the wood. It is interesting in that it is almost straight on one side.

Here is a shot looking down from above and you can see the second hole. The bowl is about 12 1/2" in diameter and a little over 6" high. Finish is Bush Oil and buffed.

This next bowl is from a chunk of wood I actually had to buy, but I could not pass up. The pictures are not the greatest, but I took my setup apart before I could look at them. It is a piece of black ash burl, approximately 8" x 3". Finished with Bush Oil and buffed by hand with Mylands Wax.

Finally, the prettiest and (almost) the biggest is this one below.

This is a fairly good sized bowl, 12" in diameter and 6" high. It is fairly heavy at 7/16" thick. I wanted some weight to this one because of the irregular edge, and the large inclusions inside.

Here is a shot looking down where you can see the largest inclusion. There is a smaller one to the lower right. Finished the same as the other two, with Bush Oil.

Thanks for taking a look.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.