Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Some plain ole bowls

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Greetings all

I have not had a lot of time at the lathe lately, although I have been in the shop quite a bit. But, I have gotten a few things done recently, so I thought I would post some pictures of what I have been doing.

This first bowl is a piece of cherry given to me at the Five Barns Picnic by Dustmaker Mike, who hangs out on the main forum most of the time. I will have to alert him to this pic. When I cut the blank, it had a huge half rotted branch coming out, and I was afraid that spelled disaster. Another slab from the same tree is was to become an 18" bowl, but a large crack has relegated it to spindle material. But the hole turned out to be an asset, with lots of curliques around it and such. There is a second smaller hole on the other side from some sort of defect in the wood. It is interesting in that it is almost straight on one side.

Here is a shot looking down from above and you can see the second hole. The bowl is about 12 1/2" in diameter and a little over 6" high. Finish is Bush Oil and buffed.

This next bowl is from a chunk of wood I actually had to buy, but I could not pass up. The pictures are not the greatest, but I took my setup apart before I could look at them. It is a piece of black ash burl, approximately 8" x 3". Finished with Bush Oil and buffed by hand with Mylands Wax.

Finally, the prettiest and (almost) the biggest is this one below.

This is a fairly good sized bowl, 12" in diameter and 6" high. It is fairly heavy at 7/16" thick. I wanted some weight to this one because of the irregular edge, and the large inclusions inside.

Here is a shot looking down where you can see the largest inclusion. There is a smaller one to the lower right. Finished the same as the other two, with Bush Oil.

Thanks for taking a look.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081