Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumack and turning

Craig Daymon
>Over the weekend a friend and I were offered whatever we wanted of a Locust tree that had been brought down. When I got there, I found the reason it was brought down was because poison ivy/oak/sumack (the black hairy vine stuff) was growing straight up through the pith. I'm very allergic to the stuff, so I declined and kept a safe distance while it was being cut. I did help where I thought I could and managed to escape without any itching.

Two questions I have are:

1) Anyone know if the poison whatever grows up through the center of a tree like this if the oils will permeate the wood, making it dangerous for someone with a sensitivity to it to turn?

2) Any methods for safely working with wood that has obviously had a close relationship with one of the poison ivy varieties? I haven't had any issues up to this point, but I've never seen anything so thoroughly infected as this tree.

Thanks,

Craig

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081