Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
treadle turned to spring pole lathe

john lucas
>Well this has been an intersting weekend so far. I was fine tuning the treadle lathe to make it work better and I broke the drive shaft on Thursday night, late. I had to have the lathe working by Friday morning. No time to fix it so I converted it to a spring pole lathe using bungee cords for the drive.

Friday was a slow day with not a lot of tourists but today was different. I turned more or less non stop from 10am to 6 pm. Boy did all that bicycling pay off. I feel like I've ridden about 40 or 50 miles but I'm not in too bad of a shape except I know I'm going to sleep like a log.

Had some pretty big groups stand there and watch. Most people wanted to know if my legs got tired. I told them no I'm super human.

I've gotten to see my Friend Jamie Donaldson and Paul Ferrel and also met Joel Hunnicut. It's been fun. I have a small display of some of my work and people seem to really like the mini goblets. Between mini goblets and working with a footpowered lathe they are all pretty sure I'm nuts, and I'm having my doublts.

Only one more day to go and it's only 7 hours. Hope the legs hold out. I got a big laugh from the crowd when I pulled the drive string loose and said Oh wow, now I know why this thing doesn't run. I've never pulled the starter cord. I wish I'd had a chain saw soundtrack to play after pulling it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081