Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
A question of Balance

Steve in NC
>Hey WC friends

I have been on the road for the better part of four months so between being dad and the usual assortment of household chores I have had little time to turn (or post). Today however, a neighbor dropped several fresh cut logs in my driveway. It looks like poplar or holly but it has a very dark (almost purple) pith. I just could not resist.

The most interesting piece is a crotch near the bottom of the trunk where two 8 logs came off. There is a dark area at the center of each trunk about 3 diameter and some nice concentric coloring. It makes me think about turning an end grain double bowl with each of the bowls centered on one of the pith areas.

I cut a 3 thick slab right at the crotch (8" x 16") and sealed it. I am planning to glue a waste block and attach a faceplate to turn each bowl. My question is this. There will be a huge imbalance as I turn each bowl. Is there any way to counterbalance the eccentricity so my lathe does not walk across the room as I try to turn? (Or more simply, am I crazy to even try this.)

Thanks for your comments.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081