Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Actually, a word of thanks *PIC*

Bob Way, Canton, MI
>I don't mean to raise the design discussion that took place a while back again, but I did read those posts with a great deal of interest because they got me to thinking about a couple of things with respect to my turning. I am a hobbiest woodworker, and turning is one of the ways I like to spend some of my shop time. A couple of years ago, my wife gave me a chunk of big leaf maple burl for my birthday, and it sat in my shop as a chunk until a couple of weeks ago. Frankly, it was a wonderful gift. Problem is I didn't have the faintest idea of what to do with it since I normally don't do this kind of turning, and worse I didn't want to screw it up too badly when I did turn it. Then there was that great discussion of design a short time ago. So, I sat down, did some sketching, some math, some hanging of chains, etc. and actually ended up going through that process a couple of times. Anyhow, this is what became of that chunk after playing around with the ideas being tossed back and forth during the discussion on design. I know it's not quite where it needs to be, but it's still miles ahead of even where I figured it'd be when I started. I learned a lot, and the shop time spent on it was a real hoot. So, thanks for the insights and the good time. It's about 5" wide by about 4" tall overall. I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas about it. For real. I work for Ford...I can take all kinds of news these days.

Bob Way

P.S. You'll have to forgive me, but I'm a segmented guy at heart and just couldn't stop myself from adding the ebony foot and rim.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081