Turning Archive 2006

Actually, a word of thanks *PIC*

Bob Way, Canton, MI
>I don't mean to raise the design discussion that took place a while back again, but I did read those posts with a great deal of interest because they got me to thinking about a couple of things with respect to my turning. I am a hobbiest woodworker, and turning is one of the ways I like to spend some of my shop time. A couple of years ago, my wife gave me a chunk of big leaf maple burl for my birthday, and it sat in my shop as a chunk until a couple of weeks ago. Frankly, it was a wonderful gift. Problem is I didn't have the faintest idea of what to do with it since I normally don't do this kind of turning, and worse I didn't want to screw it up too badly when I did turn it. Then there was that great discussion of design a short time ago. So, I sat down, did some sketching, some math, some hanging of chains, etc. and actually ended up going through that process a couple of times. Anyhow, this is what became of that chunk after playing around with the ideas being tossed back and forth during the discussion on design. I know it's not quite where it needs to be, but it's still miles ahead of even where I figured it'd be when I started. I learned a lot, and the shop time spent on it was a real hoot. So, thanks for the insights and the good time. It's about 5" wide by about 4" tall overall. I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas about it. For real. I work for Ford...I can take all kinds of news these days.

Bob Way

P.S. You'll have to forgive me, but I'm a segmented guy at heart and just couldn't stop myself from adding the ebony foot and rim.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.