Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Wedding Pen & Utensils (Kinda long - but pictures *LINK*

Fred Bearman
>While I have occasionally posted a reply to something or another in the slightly more than a year that I have frequented this board, I have not posted directly, specifically, pictures of any of my work. This is kind of an intimidating bunch to jump into (not that anybody is unfriendly or not helpful - not that at all, very much the opposite), with the almost overwhelming talent and vision demonstrated here everyday. Nevertheless, I am posting a link to a Yahoo album containing pictures of bridal items that I delivered this past weekend. These are a desk set (pen and base) for the bridal guestbook, and the cake knife and cake server. The choice of wood and design was left totally to me, with three requests - the bride wanted the pen to be large, but no feather like so many of the guest book pens have; she did not want any gold, preferring silver; and she was hoping that I could incorporate her colors into this ensemble, which are jewel tones, primarily pinks to burgundy. Since the bride grew up in a large maple syrup producing part of Michigan, and that was an important part of home for her, I chose maple as my base choice. I used maple burl for the desk set base, and birdseye maple for the pen and the knives. I chose tulipwood for all of the inlays, and got some great pinks and burgundies, as well as other shades. The base is finished in Waterlox, and engraved by Ken Nelson (the picture is from their engagement announcement, and I requested that it be more soft in effect than hard and sharp). The pen funnel, turned to resemble an old ink well, is turned from acetal copolymer (I figured that if it is good enough to make gears from, it should turn well, and I was right). The pen is a closed-end Sierra, my first closed-end pen, and the single-cross segment (also a first for me) is of tulipwood. I chose a single-cross rather than a double to simulate the two wedding bands. The basic pen is a platinum/black titanium Sierra. The finish on the pen and the knife handles is lacquer (Mylands), buffed with the Beall system. The blanks for the knife handles were cut as equilateral triangles, and then the tulipwood strips centered and inlaid on each side with epoxy. And the rest is history. Your turn now (said with much trepidation) .....

Fred Bearman
Port Huron, Michigan

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081