Turning Archive 2006

Jackson Pollack bowl, PICS

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

Trying to "gear up" a bit and get a bunch of stuff done for the holidays. I had this idea for a while and decided to give it a go. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't know if it is possible for a turned piece to appear dark and ominous, but that's how this one looks to me. It wasn't really what I had in mind, but I do like it. In fact, it is the dark section of black that I am drawn to. Technique to do this involved me flicking paint off the end of a modeler's paint brush. Very technical, took years of practice to perfect! :)

Bowl is about 7 inches across and 2 inches high. Center "bowl" is 4 inches across. Wood is hard maple. Finish is Tried and True and then buffed, except for painted area. I didn't buff that.

I am very curious what people think about this one. You cannot hurt my feelings, I have a thick skin, so let me know what you think. I personally like the bowl shape and the way that the rim of the smaller bowl is slightly higher than the rim of the bigger bowl. Again, I really like the black area, but think the white area is out of place. I like the splatter effect and will play with it more. I think I might do better to pick a few colors that go together and work with them instead of the hodgepodge here. This piece has black, white, red, blue, light blue, yellow, green, brown, orange, and a few splashes of gold in it.

Thanks for taking a look,

Dancing with Jackson in the shop in Apex, NC...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.