Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Jackson Pollack bowl, PICS

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

Trying to "gear up" a bit and get a bunch of stuff done for the holidays. I had this idea for a while and decided to give it a go. I have mixed feelings about it. I don't know if it is possible for a turned piece to appear dark and ominous, but that's how this one looks to me. It wasn't really what I had in mind, but I do like it. In fact, it is the dark section of black that I am drawn to. Technique to do this involved me flicking paint off the end of a modeler's paint brush. Very technical, took years of practice to perfect! :)

Bowl is about 7 inches across and 2 inches high. Center "bowl" is 4 inches across. Wood is hard maple. Finish is Tried and True and then buffed, except for painted area. I didn't buff that.

I am very curious what people think about this one. You cannot hurt my feelings, I have a thick skin, so let me know what you think. I personally like the bowl shape and the way that the rim of the smaller bowl is slightly higher than the rim of the bigger bowl. Again, I really like the black area, but think the white area is out of place. I like the splatter effect and will play with it more. I think I might do better to pick a few colors that go together and work with them instead of the hodgepodge here. This piece has black, white, red, blue, light blue, yellow, green, brown, orange, and a few splashes of gold in it.

Thanks for taking a look,

Mike

Dancing with Jackson in the shop in Apex, NC...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081