Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
***SURVEY: THE IDES OF SEPTEMBER***

Ellis Walentine
>Good morning folks, and welcome to our 42nd (!) bimonthly "Ides" survey, where you get to weigh in on questions that relate to this amazing craft of ours. As usual your responses will be pressed through our editorial sieve and forwarded to Woodworker West magazine for our regular column, "News & Views from WoodCentral.com." You can check out previous columns by clicking the "News & Views" link at the left of your screen, or if you don't have a navigation bar showing, just CLICK HERE.

This issue's question was suggested by our esteemed editorial assistant and book reviewer, Barb Siddiqui. She noted that several of our visitors have taken the gallery plunge lately. And, for every woodworker that reaches this level of ability and confidence, I know there are a hundred more who wonder if exhibiting in a gallery is within reach and/or worth the effort.

So, our question du jour is a multi-part affair: Have you exhibited in a gallery? If so, what was your experience? If not, do you aspire to exhibit in a gallery at some point in your woodworking future? What are the factors influencing your decisions?

For those of you who can't imagine reaching this level of design and execution in your work, why not? High-end, salable woodworking is within the reach of anyone who wants to do it. Visualizing what you want to accomplish is the hard part. Following through is just a matter of learning what to do and then putting one foot in front of the other. (I know, easy for me to say, but, hey, I'm trying to inspire you! That's what this place is all about.)

Thanks for enduring my pep talk and for participating in another Ides survey! I look forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Ellis Walentine, Host

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081