Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Small Dogwood bowl PICS

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

With the completion of my 9 month journey into building builtin bookcases, I am back to turning! The cabinets were fun, but I really missed turning.

About a week ago a neighbor approached me about turning a little bowl for a gift. He and his wife are going to New Zealand and part of the time will be staying with a "host" family. He asked if I had anything uniquely North Carolina to take as a gift. As it turns out, this same neighbor had taken down a dogwood tree about 2 years ago and I had one small roughed bowl left from it. So, I finished it and will give it to him this afternoon. Dogwood is the state flower of NC and the fact that he planted it 20 years ago and it grew in his yard and now will be a gift to friends on the other side of the world is a neat connection.

The bowl is about 5 inches across and 2.5 high or so. Sanded it with mirco mesh and then Tried and True varnish followed by a Beall buffing. The finish feels just amazing. Very, very smooth and silky. Dogwood is great to turn, it cuts well and smells good. The flower on the bottom is my version of a dogwood bloom. I think it turned out ok.

The bottom is a little fat, in my opinion. I find it hard sometimes to get a really nice shape on the smaller pieces.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Thanks for taking a peek,

Mike

So much to turn, so little time in Apex, NC

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081