Turning Archive 2006

AAW insurance answers

John Hill
>There are many apparent misconceptions about the two kinds of insurance offered by the AAW. First is the policy that the AAW furnishes free to all AAW members and AAW chapters. See http://www.woodturner.org/info/AAW_Liability_Insurance_2004.pdf to see an article that was published in the AAW Journal. This accurately answers most questions. Not included in the article is mention of an often misunderstood situation. For a club to be an approved AAW chapter, and therefore to receive the free insurance, all officers and directors of that chapter must be AAW members. It is neither an AAW policy nor a requirement by the insurance company that all members of the chapter be AAW members. As long as the aforementioned officer and director requirement is met, the chapter is insured and all AAW members of the chapter are insured. No one else is insured against claims. They are on their own. This goes for any demonstrator that is not an AAW member or anyone else including chapter members that are not also AAW members that may have caused an injury to someone.

Another misconception is that if one AAW member injures another AAW member, that the insurance does not protect the first member from claims brought by the injured member. This is wrong. All AAW members are insured against any claims made against them, whether the injured is also an AAW member or non-member. For residents of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Canada, the activities can be anywhere in the world. For members whose residence is outside the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Canada, the activities covered are limited to those activities in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Canada.

The second type of insurance that the AAW has arranged to be made available to its members is liability and property insurance for member’s private business dealings and property. See http://www.woodturner.org/community/pop/insurance_info.html for information on this and where you can see all of the benefits and download an application to be able to receive a quote.
There are two companies offering coverage. One is for all AAW members in the US except California, Hawaii, Louisiana and Washington DC and covers them whether they have their shop or studio at home or a separate location. The other one is for all AAW members in the US that have their shop at their residence. Many of our members have chosen to purchase one of these policies to cover their art work, their tools, equipment, building and to give them the liability protection that they need. The premiums seem to be substantially lower than most members can get on their own if at all. At the second web link,
If you have any problems or specific questions not answered above, please contact me and I will be glad to help you.
John Hill – AAW Board of Directors
AAW Insurance advisory committee
AAW Chapters and membership chairman

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.