Turning Archive 2006
Mkauder, Phenix City, AL
I promised to keep people updated on the new CET & Glaser tools I bought and have been using.
I did an all day demonstration in Hickory, North Carolina on Saturday. I brought the blue handled, black coated 3/8" CET/Cryo, my 3/8" CET/Glaser, Glaser negative rake scraper and my 1/2" CET/Glaser.
I had them laying on the lathe all day (I do little turning in my segmented turning demos), and every break in the demo a small group would come up and fondle them. I just lent an ear to see what was said. Here is generally what I heard all day..
1) They loved the handles (both red and blue).
2) They liked the new flute on the CET/Glasers
3) The negative rake scraper sure looks good. As big as it is, I am not sure it needs a handle.
4) They thought that the black coated one was cool looking, really different from most turning tools.
5) They loved the screw into the handle concept.
No negative comments that I heard. No inquires to me about prices.
For me, the 3/8' CET is my go to gouge when that size if appropriate - the edge -a good edge - lasts longer.
I have no update on the retail availability of any of the tools.