Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Rolly Munro Mini Hollower -- SWEEEET!

Ed Moore
>After several strange twists, I ordered the Mini Hollower from Binh Pho and received it promptly. My initial reaction was surprise at how small the cutters are. I just measured them and they are 9/32". Well they were plenty aggressive and I set the cover so the shaving would be thinner.

My first use of the Munro hollower was hollowing the interior of a small cherry goblet and it went well. Since there is a learning curve for the Munro, I chose to clean up the cuts with a curved scraper, but it was clear that with some practice that might not be necessary. This was also my first goblet and I didn't want to blow it. Thank you Jimmy Clewes DVD's. It would not have occurred to me to use a 1/4" bowl gouge (standard grind) for the exterior and the stem had I not seen it on Jimmy's DVD.

My conclusion is that the excellent reputation of the Munro hollowers is well-deserved. I am looking forward to trying it on small boxes.

Observation: In Jimmy's DVD where he turns an end-grain vase, he introduces a variety of hollowers. Now his name is on a Hamlet combo set. But in the DVD it is clear that he does most of the hollowing with a Munro. Hmmmm!

Ed

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081