Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Powermatic model 90 lathe value

Larry Clinton in Frankfort, Indiana
>Hi, I'm usually on the flat side but need some expert advice from some of you turners. I live in Central Indiana and a local school is selling off its woodworking equipment. They have 3 Powermatic lathes, all model 90's. According to the gentleman handling the sale one is in decent condition the other two need some parts or work. As the only lathes I have are one "homemade" I picked up at an auction and two cheap craftsman lathes I haven't even set up yet - (paid $50 for one and $5.00 for one at an auction). My married son is quite interested in turning, and I would like to learn more about the craft. I wondered if the Powermatic is a good choice. The lathes are all 3 phase so I would either have to change the motor or install a VFD or converter.

Questions are 1. Would you recommend purchasing the lathe?

And 2. What is a fair price for this piece of equipment? I told the gentleman I would make an appointment next week to look at the equipment.

They have a 6" jointer; I already have an 8" so wasn't interested in that. The maintenance department is keeping the tablesaw and bandsaw. Not sure if they have anything else for sale - will find out when I look at the lathes.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081