Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Turning ???

john lucas
>Several people seem to be really upset about woodturning that is being highly embellished or highly carved. I really don't understand it. When you are making a bowl don't you sometimes visualize adding a bunch of beads to the side. Then after you make this one you turn another and it has a crack in the side. You think, what if I cut this crack up and made this bowl look like a bird (remember the post a few days ago,beautifully done by the way).

OK now you decide it might be fun to make an offcenter piece. It turns out really cool so you do another and move it on 2 centers. Then you think I wonder what would happen if I move the centers to the side. Then a few dozen more of these and you have a Stony Lamar piece. Many people objected to Stoney's work because they say it doesn't look like it was on the lathe at all. So? It just an idea that took off and kept evolving.

Then thier are the people who have artistic talent inside. They start out making bowls but soon decide that this makes a good palette for thier artistic minds and the wood becomes just that. A palette, taking on all sorts of forms, telling stories, and expressing ideas.

I'm just saying that each individual is different and we will go in different directions with our turning. Everything doesn't have to be a beautiful bowl or hollow vessel with classic form. In fact there are those people that would look at the spinning wheel in the post below and say it's too gaudy with too many spindles that do nothing. A spinning wheel should be purely functional. You can't possibly please everyone.

Todd Hoyer is a perfect example of this. He started out making beautiful bowls and hollow forms and took the wood in a different direction. He is extemely knowledgeable about wood and how to work with it but chose to go in the direction that he has. When you see his slide show you see how the work evolved. It started by simply wondering what would happen if you worked with a cracked piece of wood. Then he buried some in the ground to make it crack more and it evolved from thier. I'll be honest I didn't like his work when I saw it in books. I thought exactly the same things some of you are thinking, that it was ugly. Then I saw it in person. Even burned, cracked and wrapped with wire you can see how well the forms work together. He is a master of his medium and simply chose to go this direction.

I don't have any problem with those who want to make pretty pieces just don't think you should be putting down those who don't. You say tomato I say tomaaaato ( I'm still trying to decide if it's fruit or vegatable). Anyway that's just my 2 cents (plus a little)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081