Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
New JET 1642 - - First real use opinions

Pete LaBelle
>As mentioned a month or so back, a new JET 1642 followed me home one day to replace my JET 1236. These past few days, I had a chance to put it thru its paces roughing out 26 maple bowls, some at the maximum swing over the bed.

Overall, I am really impressed with this machine and pleased with my purchase. A 300# weight box was added with help from designs on this site before any turning started. The variable frequency drive is a blessing for turners. It allows you to better tune the speed of your out-of-round piece to avoid the natural frequencys that shake the machine. Was not aware prior to purchasing this machine that the drive has a soft start & stop feature. Really helps with the big blanks that have a lot of momentum.

The machine was purchased with the 2hp motor, and so far, even with agressive cutting, haven't taxed it. This machine comes without a plug on the end of the cord. Since a plug had to be purchased (as there are several different combinations of 220V plugs available), I also removed the 6' cord supplied with the machine and replaced it with a longer one to avoid the use of an extension cord.

The best price on the machine was found at Toolnut.com. Having the ability to deliver it to a commercial address (with loading docks and fork trucks) will save you money on shipping. The packaging was perfect when it arrived at my place of work 4 days after ordering.

Thus far, and really impressed overall and am looking forward to many hours of chip making in the basement.

Pete

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081