Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
building a super cool sharpening system *LINK*

matt fallon
>hey folks, long time no visit sorry :)
i picked up this idea at a rustic artists retreat of sorts in Warwick NY
called teh Woodlanders Gathering. www.woodlanders.com its a really great bunch of people and this year was fantastic (my first time teaching a native bamboo flutemaking workshop)

anyways, this is compliments of eric bunn,a master carver in NJ.
he got it from a fellow in canada who i think sells them for upwards of $500 (!!) im planning on making one with motor/step-pullies from a cheapo reliant bandsaw i have (guide bearings broke off)

im also thinking of adding a few extra grit wheels,maybe 1 with emory,a wire wheel or sanding mop,buffers,just make it more multi-functional for finishing...though mayeb i dont want all those things together spinning too fast?buffers need more spead than the sandpaper wheels i guess...maybe an extra mandrel just for buffers,hmm...
adding an adjustable tool rest bar across the front seems like a good idea...this thing spun in reverse of a lathe..top away from you,freehand thats desirable,but with a toolrest is it better to spin towards like a grinder to get the burr on top?. the pictures speak for themselves so no ore description is needed i dont think?

i found the pillow-block/bearing housings at McMaster-Carr for $8 and $25 depending on type...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081