Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
sanding test

john lucas
>I finally had time to do a brief sanding test. The idea was to sand from 220 grit to 1500 grit and then finish with a thick body finish and and oil finish and see if I could see the difference between 220 and 1500 with either of these finishes. Well I'll know more after tomorrow night when I let the club look at these samples but here goes my analysis.

I resawed 4 boards, maple, cherry, walnut, and curly mahagony. I chose 2 open pore woods and 2 smooth woods to see the differences. I sanded each board to 220 grit and then sanded 3" sections to 400, then 600, 1200, 1500 grit, so each board has 5 sections sanded to different grits.

I sprayed lacquer on 4 of the boards using 4/0 steel wool lightly between each spraying. I put on 4 coats. The other 4 boards I applied low gloss tung oil, 6 coats again rubbed lightly with 4/0 steel wool between coats. didn't buff out the finish on either finish because I wanted to see the results as is. I will buff them out later to a higher quality and see what happens but I don't think it will change the appearance of the wood, only the finish itself.

The results. When I first looked at the boards I could barely see a difference between the 220 and the rest of the board. I took them outside into better light and could make out a little difference between the 220 and 400 step but from 600 on up I could not tell any difference in the look of the wood. Even the chatoyance of the curly mahagony doesn't show any difference between the 600 on up.

I wish I could have done this same test with some exotics but wasn't willing to waste that wood. My conclusion at this stage is I don't need to waste extra time using higher than 600 grit unless I change my finishes and the way I'm finishing. These finishes look very good. They could be improved by using the beal buffing system or by sanding the finishes to a finer grit such as the way Mark Kauder does his finishes. I was more interested in how the sanding of the wood affected the final finish.

I have done the same test when making wine stoppers using Hut abrasive. I made about 30 or so and finished 10 by sanding to 400 grit, 10 to 600 grit and 10 to 1500 grit. I applied the hut abrasive to these to finish them. When I finished I could not tell any of them apart. These were woods from maple and cherry to dogwood and ebony.

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions. I would photograph them for you but you won't be able to tell the difference in a photo.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081