Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Almost accident- always be careful

john lucas
>Last night I was cutting another piece of dogwood for my demo today. It was a 3" limb section. I've cut hundreds of these things for ornament balls. I always use a V block that fits in my miter slot on the bandsaw. This keeps the log from rolling. Anyway I started the cut and before I could blink it through the log, about 8" long up and hit me in the right cheek. Left a very tender area and a nasty looking scrape about 2" long.

I did have safety glasses. I wasn't tired, I wasn't rushing, I absolutely don't know why that was any different than all the other pieces I cut. The only thing I can figure was I was using a 1/2" 3 tooth blade. I've cut many limb sections with this but it must have been the hardness of the dogwood (seasoned, not green) and the courseness of the blade. I still don't know how it managed to go up and back to hit me in the face. The first thing I did after I realized it happened was to look at my fingers. All there. I do my very best to keep my hands out of line with the blade and I guess that paid off.

My friend Pat Matranga came by the symposium today and as soon as she saw me she said A piece of wood got away from you didn't it. Darn she's so smart.

I'm going to tell the folks at work that I got into a fight while in Nashville. Someone said woodturners suck and I had to defend our honor. The other guy looks worse than me. Don't want to admit that I did something stupid. Unfortunately it didn't improve my looks. :)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081