Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
OT - Trojan - long

Ron in Drums PA
>To start off, the problem was on a brand-new laptop and I was online for about 10 minutes before I had a firewall setup. I do not think there was any viruses, spyware or trojans on the system when it was delivered to me.

Since the laptop has a wireless connection, it was hooked up to the internet almost immediately. I logged onto iexplorer and downloaded firefox and installed it. Then in firefox, I checked a few other sites for some updates to some software I wanted to install. Then I installed the firewall. My big first mistake.

Since this is a new system there where nag screens popping up telling me about the software that came bundled. Most were letting me know they where there and telling me how many days I have left before I needed to purchase it. One of the nag screens was "WinAntiVirus Pro 2006". I wasn’t interested so I “x” out of the screen then another screen popped up for the same software and I “x” out again.

WinAntiVirus Pro 2006 is a rogue antivirus software that allows a handful of Trojans onto the system. This is the first problem that I picked up while I was on the internet. If you see a nag screen for this software pop up do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and remove it from the Task manager. Any other way will install all kinds of nasty stuff. Within minutes I had 717 infections, most I didn’t know about for a few days. Between Norton, NOD32, Spybot, SpyWare Doctor, NOD32, McAfee, Ad-Aware and digging into the registry, I was able to remove 716 of them. Here is a link for some more info on WinAntiVirus Pro 2006

What I couldn’t get rid of was a Trojan called VUndo. Symantic and Nod32 have removal tools for this trojan that don’t work.

With the link a friend supplied me, I registered at tweaks.com and received help within 17 minutes, Over the next three hours we scrubbed my brand-new laptop. Here is a link to our conversation Tweaks.com

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081