Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Hard headed persitance

john lucas
>I'm sure someone else has done this. I started an off center piece that was supposed to go with another turning. I started it out without a drawing or even a really firm idea of what it would look like. So naturally as I proceeded I kept changing it slightly as the design emerged. It just wasn't looking right so I changed it more. I carved on it, put it back on the lathe, turned some more, carved some more, turned some more. I refused to give up on it even though it just wasn't working with the original piece.

Fortunately I finally decided that it would never look right so I tossed it. I feel silly for spending that much time on something. When I first saw that it wasn't going right I should have tossed it, grabed another piece of wood and started over. It's too easy to settle for a mediocre piece when you try to save a piece of wood.

I'll paraphrase John Jordan and Richard Raffin. Life's to short to waste time on a mediocre design. Sit down, think it over, make some sketches and you will probably come up with a decent design. At least that's how I hope it will work with this one.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081