Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Sanding Stick

Jennifer@Indy.USA
>When I was in Louisville, one of the new gizmos I saw in the trade show was a thing that you stick inside hollowforms to sand the insides of it. It was a great device that looked substantial and would really do a good job. When I looked at the price however, I just about died. I believe it was over $100! Well Friday I was working on a little hollow piece with a relatively large opening so I was determined to get the inside sanded well, but my fingers only reached in about 2/3rds of the way. So I took a piece of dowel and cut it on the bandsaw trying to copy the inside shape of the form, and made a little do-dad to use as a finger extension. After cutting it rounded it over on the belt sander to smooth out any rough spots. I then used a piece of double sided tape and stuck my sandpaper right to it. It worked perfectly. I'm sure it's been done a million times over, but thought I'd post a picture for those, like me....that these little light bulbs take a while to blink on :)....it's scary, I know...but when I'm in my shop and these obviously simple things pop into my head....I feel like a genius!

Ha!

Thanks for looking,

Einstein :)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081