Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
OT, but possibly important (phishing scams)

Ed Davidson (Colorado Springs)
>Phishing scams revealed...

A really nasty internet fraud scheme has been going on for a while now, called “phishing” (fishing for your financial information), where you get a very official looking unsolicited email from a bank, credit union, PayPal, eBay or any number of other well-known companies. The fraudulent email usually indicates that they need you to click on a link to their website so some problem with your account can be resolved. Sometimes it’s described as a link to a on-line survey or to some kind of reward. The advice that you hear most of the time is “don’t click on that link”.

Well, I’ve discovered an easy way to determine if these type emails are legitimate. Here’s the process:

When you get a suspicious looking email that ask you to click on a link, put your curser over the link and right-click (using M/S Outlook or Outlook Express). A pull-down menu will appear – choose the “copy shortcut” option. Then go to your browser and paste this link onto the browser’s web-address window. Chances are that the web-address that shows up in the browser window will be completely different than the one you saw in the email – indicating that this is a phishing scam attempt.

Here’s a copy of an email I received recently:

“Dear Valued Customer ,

CONGRATULATIONS !!!
Are you happy with the way that your bank treats you? Help us to help you. Just answer this very quick survey and you could win $50.00. Just for your time!
We would really appreciate your input as a customer. We believe that in this age of customer driven business, we can really make a difference to the customer service that we receive. Please would you take just two minutes to complete the attached questionnaire. This questionnaire is all about the service that we receive from Bank of America. It's very short - a maximum of 5 questions. And it's very quick and easy to complete. As our way of saying "thank you" for contributing to this survey, will credit $50.00 to your account. Finally, I can assure you that your personal details and responses will not be shared with any other organisation. To contiunue please click on the link below: http://bankofaretica.com/cgi-bin/survey.htm
Thank you for helping us to help you.”

Besides the obvious misspellings, if you follow the right-click, copy and paste process described earlier, the link shown above turns into the real phishing scam link: http://cpe-212-18-43-168.static.amis.net/appserv/survey.html

PLEASE, DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THESE LINKS !

There are lots of crooks out there in our little on-line world, and I hope this short tutorial helps you avoid the !#$%#@$%s.

Best regards,
Ed D.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081