Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Getting Warped

Phil Joines Krum, Tx
>I acquired some Honey Locust, sawn 6/4 thick, 17" wide bark edge to bark edge about 10' long. It was plane sawn about 4" from the pith. It had been stickered but not weighted in the open, in Texas, for about 7 months. My intention was to use it for platters. I cut it into 3' long boards and left in my shop standing on edge for 3 months. The boards have cupped about 1/2".

Last night I bandsawed out a blank the full width of the board and rough turned the platter to about 3/8" thick with 4" of the center left 3/4" thick for a mounting tennon. The wood seemed dry all the way through. It was flat when I stopped. I don't have a moisture meter.

This morning the blank had cupped about 3/8" toward the pith. The cup seems to be evenly distributed across the width. The was it is now it's trash, can't be flattened without loosing 80% of the width.

One solution may be to let it sit for a couple of days then rip it into three pieces, joint the edges and glue it back together. It could also be clamped flat, or with some reverse cup, and left for a while. It won't fit in my microwave or I'd clamp it and run it through a couple of cycles.

I'm wondering if the additional cupping is due to additional drying or from release of internal stress. Will these pieces keep warping after they're finished? I thinking about ripping the rest of it into 1/2" to 3" wide pieces, letting them set for another 3-6 months, and gluing them back together with contrasting wood in between.

What do you all think?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081