Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Dental Light Pics

Bill Grumbine (Kutztown PA)
>Hello again everyone

If I had spent a little more time studying the light, I probably would not have even posted the question. I spent about as much time modifying it as I did typing my post - well, maybe a little more time, but not above 15 minutes. Here are some pictures of the almost finished work I need to plumb the thing up and put a plug on the end of the wires and I am in business!

Here is the light in its entirety. It sort of looks like something out of War of the Worlds, at least the original movie. The vertical post coming out of the large bracket screwed to the beam is the part I had been asking about. The whole light hangs from it.

Here is a shot with the light extended out of the way and into its working position. The metal plate is bolted to the beam and then the large bracket with the bolts is used for making it plumb. The light itself has a fairly large range of motion, but it does have some restrictions, so I am going to have to fiddle with it and the position of the lathe for optimum lighting.

Finally, here it is in its position over the lathe. I want to be able to illuminate both the headstock and tailstock sides of a piece, so there is where the fiddling around is going to come in. I can tell you right now, it is going to be easier to move the lathe, and maybe even the dust collection tube than it will be that light. Not only is it ungainly when it is flopping around loose, it is held into a 63 year old red oak beam with 3 1/2" lag bolts (all I had on hand).

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have two Moffat lights which will stay with the Poolewood, but this addition should make working on the Vega even nicer.

Bill

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081