Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Let me try this again....long *PIC*

Keith Tompkins
>I have been thinking about my recent post with Dinyar and TD. I'm afraid I didn't handle that one too well..I hope they will both accept my apologies. I also want to thank Russ for his thoughtful and logical response.

I have been working on part 2 of the article, and have been trying to come up with a better way to illustrate how the triangle method could work. The following image is what I came up with so far.

The focal point of the image is a conical shape, or a long, narrow triangular form. Why start with this shape?...I think it's a realistic starting point, and it forces the student to focus on just one specific area; or as Russ stated, it FRAMES the object we desire to draw. Again I didn't measure the angles, all I want the viewer to see is the shape of the cone...and then attempt to draw a pleasing shape, using the cone as a guide. This is intended as an exercise to teach a student to THINK about shapes and forms on their own, without books, drawings, or photos of other work.

Can a pleasing form be derived from this cone? the next image shows a simple goblet form based on the cone. Notice the organic curves in the bowl of the goblet.

Now, go back to the first image..you will notice the cone is surrounded by a yellow semi-circle. Now, imagine the cone as being flexible...we could open it up to any point in the yellow area. I show just a couple of options: AA,BB,CC, etc. I chose these points at random; again, I didn't measure the angles. WE could use these points, or anywhere in between. This is why I refer to my method as a flexible approach. Could we (or the student) again base an attractive form on the new triangle we chose?

I have been thinking about my decision NOT to give limits to my approach...say 35-45 degree limits. AHA! ...because they are LIMITS. I don't want to limit my approach, nor the approach of a turning student. For instance ..." this is a box. you can only work within the confines of this box. you may not exceed the boundaries set by this box." To my way of thinking, rules such as this are merely another set of self-imposed limitations. While they may help create some pleasing forms, they also severely limit the creative process...and prevent us from exploring the multitude of attractive shapes that exist beyond these artificial limits.

Anyway, does this help clarify my triangle approach? If anyone wants to give it a try, and respond, either here at WC or privately, feel free.

The last image is the initial sketch for a new finial I am working on..based on the same steep-sided triangle I have been discussing. I pulled it from my sketch book, and scanned it into my computer.

Thanks for reading this. Keith

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081