Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Thanks to Don Farr and Gary Evens

Dave Smith, Longview, WA
>I finally purchased and connected a remote controller to the VFD I have installed on my Jet 1236. What a sweet controller it is. Don made me a deal on a VFD controller that was not what the customer needed. Last week I ordered the remote from Don's company, DC Industrial. Don what a sweetheart Heather is. I would call and order something I didn't need just to talk to her.

Gary Evens sold me a used 3 phase motor with 4 step pulley for the cost of shipping. Actually we swapped motor for wood with equal shipping cost. I need to send him an other box of wood to even out the deal. On top of that I got a 3 phase motor Ray Thompson had laying around in his shop for the cost of shipping. I want to make a bowl lathe similar to Vern Leibrant's on a smaller scale using the motor that I got from Ray with the same VFD controller. I don't usually run two lathes at once.

The biggest hang up on the project was trying to find a pulley with 24mm bore. I must have looked in all the wrong places because I could not find one. I bought a 4 step pulley from Surplus Center with a 3/4" bore. I had planned to send it to Ron Berg to have it bore out to 24mm but I waited too long and the Reeves pulley I was still using on the lathe shaft gave up to ghost last week. So I got out my Jet Mini metal lathe and bored the pulley with a sharp scrapper(sharpened often) and some wet dry sand paper. I would not have been able to do this if the pulley was not pot metal. The set screw fits nicely in the shaft key way groove.

Now I just need to design a permanent motor mount before taking pictures and writing a review on the project. The mount I have now is made with plywood. Hey, I am suppose to be a woodworker when I am not tinkering with stone, metal, electronics, and chemistry.

Dave Smith

Flying the flag on the 4th of July in Longview, WA.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081