Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
beall buffing adventures

jared
>Hello: I bought a beall buff kit, the 8 inch wheel kind, last winter when it was on sale. I never got a round to using it until yesterday. I spent two hours and tried three different electric motors to mount the aluminum arbor on. The first motor worked fine when I tried it but then I discovered that it turned the wrong way and apparently the rotation can not be reversed on that one. Then I hunted around and found another motor but lo and behold it was a 3450 rpm, not recommended at all to use that speed. THe third motor I found in the barn, I never could get to work right. So there I am in my shop, trying to decided what else to mount the buffs on. Then a light went on in my thick head, there stands my lathe, the rotation is reversable and the speed is variable, perfect. I just mounted my bowl chuck on the lathe and clamped the aluminum buff arbor in the the chuck. It worked great but I do want to get the shaft extension so I can get inside the bowls better. Has anyone else ever resorted to this sort of thing? Jared

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081