Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
It seemed like a good idea at the time....

Dave Belser
>I finally got back from Louisville, had a great time. I actually won the door prize at the WC lunch, which is amazing as I never win anything. I took I lot of design and enhancement rotations - enough to get my head spinning. I've got an idea for a locking box, and I'm spending a lot of time thinking about design elements.

So today I'm standing in line at the bank looking at the absolutely gorgeous vault doors behind the teller line. Gears, bars, bolts - chrome, steel, brass and glass, and lots of filigree. I love to look at this vault and I'm puzzled by the fact that a lot of the mechanism is visible - inviting one to try to figure out how it works. The the obvious clicks, I could probably get some neat design ideas from it.

So I ask the teller if I can take pictures of it, and he gives me a strange look and directs me to the branch manager. I walk over to the "greeter" and ask to speak to Mr. Smith. When she asks me what I want to see him for I say again that "I'd like to take pictures of your vault". As she walks away I realize that other bank people are giving me strange looks. Mr. Smith briskly walks out of his office and in my direction and I finally realize that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to ask in the first place.

Anyhow, I did some quick explaining and gave him a business card, say that I could certainly understand why they didn't want me taking any pictures. I've been home for a few hours now and have been checking out the windows regularly, no black suburbans..... yet.

If I stop posting, you will know what happened :)

- Dave

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081