Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Functional Flower Vase Ideas ?

Brad Vietje
>Hi Folks,

I've been asked to turn a functional wooden flower vase, but larger than can be accomodated with the small glass tubes sold in the major catalogs -- probably 12 - 14". Usually I take the position that finished wood turnings (or at least, wood finishes) and water don't mix, but I think I can pull this off.

My ideas so far are to turn the vase out of Butternut (soft, but stable and forgiving), leaving a cylinder inside to accept a removable 2" copper pipe with end cap soldered on the bottom. I may flare the pipe a bit on the lathe up at the top end. I plan to use West System epoxy on the inside to seal out the inevitable drips and condensation, and multiple coats of spar varnish on the outside. This means a glossier finish than usual for me, but I don't know of a better war to get the water resistance I need. In use, the copper cylinder would be lifted out to arrange the flowers, change the water, etc... though I know the recipient of the gift will probably still pour water into the assembled vase, regardless of my instructions.

Does anyone have any better ideas or plans ? I'm all ears...

Thank you kindly,

Brad Vietje
Newbury, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081