Turning Archive 2006

Functional Flower Vase Ideas ?

Brad Vietje
>Hi Folks,

I've been asked to turn a functional wooden flower vase, but larger than can be accomodated with the small glass tubes sold in the major catalogs -- probably 12 - 14". Usually I take the position that finished wood turnings (or at least, wood finishes) and water don't mix, but I think I can pull this off.

My ideas so far are to turn the vase out of Butternut (soft, but stable and forgiving), leaving a cylinder inside to accept a removable 2" copper pipe with end cap soldered on the bottom. I may flare the pipe a bit on the lathe up at the top end. I plan to use West System epoxy on the inside to seal out the inevitable drips and condensation, and multiple coats of spar varnish on the outside. This means a glossier finish than usual for me, but I don't know of a better war to get the water resistance I need. In use, the copper cylinder would be lifted out to arrange the flowers, change the water, etc... though I know the recipient of the gift will probably still pour water into the assembled vase, regardless of my instructions.

Does anyone have any better ideas or plans ? I'm all ears...

Thank you kindly,

Brad Vietje
Newbury, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.