Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
bark inclusion

GaryG in MD
>I got rid of the remains of a dogwood today. It died from borers, I think, and I've been chopping it down and saving a few pieces and recycling the rest. I really like the fine, satiny surface of polished dogwood, and the beautiful, rich brown color that it finishes into with Watco Danish.

I saved a branch junction and chain sawed it in half down the "Y" axis. Unfortunately, instead of a nice flame pattern, I found a bark inclusion. (Yeah, I know, it's a real dog.)

The inclusion is quite linear and relatively narrow with a constant width, and it goes just about all the way across the billets. I have two questions, one artistic and one technical:

1) Should I save it or toss it? I would like to see examples of small bowls or plates with bark inclusions that any of you may have made and photographed. Frankly, this inclusion doesn't look much different from a linear feature that someone might have added purposely by segmentation (except it's right down the middle, which would be bad design). I'm not sure how deep it goes, but it will probably end up being only in the side wall(s) of a bowl form; or, I could purposefully use it as a design feature in a shallow plate or wide-brimmed bowl. It'll probably end up being about 7" - 8" in diameter. The question is: Do you think it's worth the effort to make an "interesting" piece out of this, or is it just going to look like crap?

2) If the artistic decision is to go ahead, what are the technical challenges? Should I just pretend it's not there and cut away, or should I be concerned about it flying apart? Should I harden it with CA repeatedly as I go down, or ...??? You tell me. What are the concerns and constraints?

Thanks for your comments, Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081