Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
stopper review *PIC*

Keith Tompkins
>Some time ago, (October '05) I met with Ruth Niles at Totally Turning Symposium to discuss the new bottle stoppers which she had just begun to market. I brought a few home with me to test out, and promised to write a review for Wood Central. I also tested various stoppers that are available; however I did not consider the cork variety, as I don't consider them to be long-term products.

The stoppers are machined from 303 stainless steel, and feature three nitrile o-rings, which allow the stoppers to seal bottles of various sizes. Both of these materials are approved by the FDA for contact with food. Two styles of stoppers are available; one model has a plain post, the other has an 8mm x1.5 threaded post.

I chose the threaded model for my test run. The stoppers I tested were well made, and the shoulder that meets the finial was accurately machined, making for a nice fit. I think the stainless steel brushed finish compares favorably with the chrome-plated stoppers I tested, and makes for a more professional final product.The Niles stoppers also have a lower profile than other stoppers, which greatly improves the overall appearance.

For stopper finials, I drilled a 4.5 mm hole in my blank while held in a chuck, and tapped it to match the stoppper. A makeshift mandrel allowed me to finish off the finials.

Although these stoppers are a bit more expensive than the others I tested, their appearance alone is worth the extra amount, and this should translate into increased sales.

If I had a criticism of these stoppers, I think the 8mm post is a bit of overkill. While nearly indestructible, I think a smaller diameter post would allow more flexibility in the finial design, and would not weaken the post significantly. A minor detail that won't affect most turners. I also suggested to Ruth that a starter kit containing a drill bit and metric tap, along with a matching mandrel would be a great aid in using her stoppers, especially for newer turners. This is a well engineered and well executed product, worthy of your consideration.

For further details, Ruth may be contacted a rthniles@yahoo.com

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081