Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
First Real Gloat!

Spence in Rhode Island
>Bill Grumbine spent a night and a day here at my place in Rhode Island. All I can say is WOW! Bill is a first class gentlemen and even better teacher. I've been turning for more than 15 years and had only taken a class with Russ Zimmerman back in the early 90's when I first started out. Spindle turning was my main focus then because that was how I made my living at the time. Even though back then I had sold a few bowls I did them more for fun than anything else. I always had a major problem with tearout that requiered the use of the 80 grit gouge. Big time!

Well Bill sure took care of those problems! LOL First he pointed out that I was attacking the bowl as if it were a spindle. Talk about a light bulb going off over my head? Oh man! The day just kept getting better and better after that. To make a long story short all I can say is that if you ever get a chance to spend some time with Bill inside the shop or out, go for it! To say the least it will be a time to remember. Thanks Bill!!!
Spence who is happily heading back down to the shop! :)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081