Turning Archive 2006

First Real Gloat!

Spence in Rhode Island
>Bill Grumbine spent a night and a day here at my place in Rhode Island. All I can say is WOW! Bill is a first class gentlemen and even better teacher. I've been turning for more than 15 years and had only taken a class with Russ Zimmerman back in the early 90's when I first started out. Spindle turning was my main focus then because that was how I made my living at the time. Even though back then I had sold a few bowls I did them more for fun than anything else. I always had a major problem with tearout that requiered the use of the 80 grit gouge. Big time!

Well Bill sure took care of those problems! LOL First he pointed out that I was attacking the bowl as if it were a spindle. Talk about a light bulb going off over my head? Oh man! The day just kept getting better and better after that. To make a long story short all I can say is that if you ever get a chance to spend some time with Bill inside the shop or out, go for it! To say the least it will be a time to remember. Thanks Bill!!!
Spence who is happily heading back down to the shop! :)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.