Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
OK; All of you Saturday night Cone-Heads *PIC*

Keith Newton
>A CONE-ELLIPSE COFFEE TABLE

You need a table to set your beverage-units on. I ran across a 2,25" transparency the other day that I didn't have scanned, so I just stood it up on a rail of the shoji, and shot it in macro, so you can see the fiber texture coming through.

I made this piece back in 1993, and turned it on a PM 45 faceplate outboard. I had a conveyer gear-motor with a chain driving a big sprocket on an inboard faceplate. I got it down to about 1 rpm. I had the tail-stock clamped in a vice on a sturdy bench, and jury-rigged a full-length tool-rest that I kept the outfeed bed of my makita 6" power-plane riding on as I worked my way across.

This is when the fun started. The wood is QS Wenge. The wedges were milled with a 3/4" half-round on one edge, and a 3/4" flute milled in the other, so the parts automatically fit tight without worrying about a miter angle. I use thicken epoxy with something to blacken it to adhere the wedges.

I made it up in three parts of 120* arcs. with an over-all 30* angle to the cone. It is about 40" tall. The 3/4" beveled edge glass top is an ellipse.

Funny story.. The lady I was dating back then heard me refer to it as cone ellipse coffee table, She told me later after seeing it that she thought I was saying Coney Lips.. Like the mouth of a chicken. I liked it so much, I almost changed the name. I say anything you can do to put a smile on your pecker is good, Hun-!!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081