Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
buffing speed

john lucas
>I know we've had some discussion on buffing speed and I happen to be one of the slow speed group. However I've been playing with different finishes this week(it's always good to explore different techniques) and have found that the hardness varies quite a bit between them. I can buff the minwax wipe on poly at a much higher speed than lacquer without causing problems. The Tru-oil is also quite hard although I didn't try to buff this with the 8" wheels at 1725 rpm. I worked too hard on that piece and didn't want to ruin it. I'll try that on some scrap in the next few weeks. Anyway what I was trying to say is that the type of finish we use and how much we build it up may have a lot to do with the differnt speeds we use on the buffing system.

I still like the slow speed, it's less grabby and does just fine for me but a harder finish would let you get away with more on high speed. Anyone else have any thoughts on that? These are obviously just my thoughts on a limited experiment. Your mileage may vary.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081