Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Tool making question

Ed Kelle
>I'm trying to make some small hollowing tools according to all the info I've gotten here. Using 1/4" oil hardened drill rod for this first set, if it works well I might use the 3/16" and 1/8" versions as well. Right now I am just working my way thru the straight one.

Last night, tried using the only torch I had, a propane one. I got it to turn red for a little bit but obviously it wasn't enough. So today I went to the Orange Box and bought a Mapp torch, of course they didn't sell the head separately, so I had to get the pricey set with the auto start head. Anyhow, this got the tip to turn red much quicker and I kept it red for about 2 mins or so. Quenched it in peanut oil and cleaned it off. Then used the propane on it again. I turned off most of the lights to see when it would turn yellow but obviously it blew past that quickly and went blue. Does this mean that I really did not fully harden it?
It is much easier to see the metal turn yellow with the lights on, and by yellow I am assuming it means that first quick yellowing not the yellow before it turns red hot again.

Somewhere I read that after it gets red it should be non metallic, and that's not the case either. Not sure if that matters.

Any insight into if I have done all correctly will be appreciated greatly. I'd like to get this right before I go thru the hassle of trying to bend the swan neck version. Got a metal bender jig that allows you to do all sorts of coils and such, but even with the "instructions" it still is quite a mystery. I am using 7" long pieces which will have about 3" inserted into the tang. Will use a copper pipe coupling for a tang into hard maple handle of about 15".

I've already spend more on the supplies than I could have bought a set of mini hollowers for, but hopefully learning this will be better in the long run. Also bought 1/8" HSS bars, but don't even want to think about trying to drill holes and insert tips yet. I admit to being metally challenged.

Any advice is appreciated, a few good laughs would be nice as well. Thanks

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081