Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
First Show N Tell *PIC*

Bob Way
>I tend to be one of those guys who sits in the back of the room. I have learned so much from you, and enjoyed your company, that I figured it was time to do a little show and tell. This is a vase I turned this past week.

This was kind of a new venture for me. Im a bit partial to segmented turning, and, as time allowed, have done several bowls of the stacked ring variety. With the vase I ventured into the compound staves with some left over walnut I had on hand. I sort of woosed out in terms of the slope angle, and cut for a modest 10 degrees from vertical. The angle and thickness of the walnut didnt allow for much of a curve in the body of the vase. Otherwise, turning this was a great opportunity to refine some of the processes and techniques you all have been so helpful to me in refining. The joints are good, I had the chance to try some different things in mounting and turning, and the finish has some visual and tactile qualities I really like. I turn for fun, and with some of your sideline help, this was a real hoot. Thanks so much.

Vase is walnut solids and veneers, big leaf maple, and holly veneer. It measures 4 wide at the shoulder, 6 overall height, and 1 at the base.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081