Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Lacquer VS Polyurethane

Dave Belser
>I'm working on a project that is meant to be a functional heirloom type of piece - think of a finely crafted game in a wooden box. I've used polyurethane as a finish in the past and was planing on using it this time.

What I like about poly is that it's easy to use, provides a tough durable finish that I can polish to a high gloss. I'm not thrilled about the plastic like feel of it. I've also read that it can yellow over time. I don't have any long term experience with it.

Recently I've been testing/trying clear spray lacquer as a finish and it seems to be easy to use although I need a lot more coats to achieve a similar gloss / depth.

What I'd like to know is what are the trade offs between using the two - both long term and during finishing. My project has parts the need to move freely against each other (like a sliding lid for instance) would one finish be more prone to binding than the other? What about repairing damage to the finish in the future? How do collectors feel about the implied quality of the piece based on the finish?

Any comments or experiences greatly appreciated.

- Dave

Messages In This Thread

Lacquer VS Polyurethane
Dave, have you considered and oil?
Re: Dave, have you considered and oil?
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081