Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Advice for Sandpaper Purchase

Jerry Hall
>I have been turning for a couple years, and have about used up the odds and ends of sandpaper from my flat work. I am about to make a big purchase of sheets and bulk H&L stock and am somewhat overwhelmed by the variety of products and choices. I have bought individual sheets and have formed some tentative opinions. I would appreciate comments, recommendations on the following:

8-1/2 by 11 Sheets: I have narrowed it down to Mirka and Norton 3x. I like both but Norton 3X paper seems softer, more flexible, a bit lighter and is real tough. I don't understand the Klingspor choices in sheet paper and their differences so I have ruled them out. Opinions?

Hook and Loop Stock: I have come to prefer cutting my own disks to fit and overlap my shop made Roloc based disk pads based on foam and leather. I dedicate one pad to each grit. I have been using my stock of sticky PSA rolls to make the disks. I plan to convert them to hook and loop, cutting my disks as I need them to the size I need from sheet or roll stock. I am considering the Industrial Abrasives 1M x 1Yd sheets, and the Klingspor Stearate Kling-on 4-1/2" rolls. Each is about 1c per sq inch. I like the rolls from a storing and handling perspective. I know nothing about the softness of the backing and the quality of the abrasive for each. Opinions?

Grits: Russ recommends getting them all: "...start with 60 or 80, and proceed through 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 250, 280, 320, and stop at 400" Is this a consensus? That's a bit more stock to get! I have been doing 60 or 80,100,150,220,320,400 but have to admit that I still fight and often live with the migration of subtle scratches into finished pieces, altho I am getting closer to the standard I want by improving my technicue. Opinions?

I know this is a lot to ask. Any help in any of the areas will be much appreciated.

Jerry

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081