Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Clarification: Jamie's website *PIC*

Ken Grunke from SW WI
>My post on Saturday announcing Jamie Donaldson's website needs some explaining for those who didn't see the sophomoric little prank I pulled on Jamie on April Fool's day. Especially for Jamie himself!

Last October, when Jamie came to Wisconsin to do a demo for our AAW chapter, I prodded him to let me do his website, which was sorely needed to show off his fine woodturnings. We don't get to see even half of what Jamie produces, because he doesn't post images often enough (in my opinion). And I was a fledgling website developer looking for work.
He agreed, we got started after New Years, and after a while I got to scheming in my head with April 1rst coming up.

Some folks here aren't aware of Jamie's desire to rid the world of blue backgrounds in photos, at least those of woodturnings. It's a tough but necessary job, and if Jamie tires of it I hope others will take on the task. Blue is the worst color to use for a backdrop in a woodturning picture, as it tends to taint the color of natural wood more than any other hue.

People like to rib Jamie in a good-natured way for his role in trying to improve images of our turnings, and I was just trying to join in the fun. Here's what I did:

I replaced the brown background color with a tiled (repeating across the page) image, which was an animated GIF that simply pulsed from a pale blue to a bright cobalt blue and back, every couple seconds or so. The effect was horrendous, as hoped for. As if that wasn't enough, I took a copy of the header image and made the white lettering transparent so the blue would show through.

I got a good chuckle from my dumb little joke, and was happy to see others did also. I was also tickled pink to see reactions on how awful it looked. Now that I got that out of my system, I've grown up again and am back to being a dull, 52 year-old bachelor computer geek ;-)

My original post in that thread sounds like a self-satisfying gloat, but it was only a tongue-in-cheek attempt at drawing attention to my silly prank. Well, I *am* proud of the website work done, it's a basic, no-frills showcase of Jamie's turnings, which speak for themselves as *Good Stuff*.

Jamie, thanks for all you've done for me, and I apologize for any confusion I've caused you!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081